Solved

Ingest from Google Sheets?

• 7 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

I’m interested in setting up a video ingestion procedure using google sheets.

My ideal workflow looks like this: a google sheet is prepared with 1 row per video, and a column for each metadata field. Videos are hosted on gdrive (or box?) and a link to them is on the sheet.

Using google app script, I highlight one or more rows, and then run an “ingest” command (or an “update video source file” command) from the Custom Menu. The script would send each file to brightcove with its accompanying metadata, and then update the google sheet with the new brightcove ID.

But I have a feeling I can’t be the first one to think of this - has anybody else created a resource like this? What kind of upload automations have you developed?

icon

Best answer by Jorge Contreras 12 March 2024, 23:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m interested in setting up a video ingestion procedure using google sheets.

My ideal workflow looks like this: a google sheet is prepared with 1 row per video, and a column for each metadata field. Videos are hosted on gdrive (or box?) and a link to them is on the sheet.

Using google app script, I highlight one or more rows, and then run an “ingest” command (or an “update video source file” command) from the Custom Menu. The script would send each file to brightcove with its accompanying metadata, and then update the google sheet with the new brightcove ID.

But I have a feeling I can’t be the first one to think of this - has anybody else created a resource like this? What kind of upload automations have you developed?

Hi, Daniel, 

Thanks for bring this to our attention. 

I believe we have something similar under development (no in production yet). Our Ingestion Team mentioned something about it in the past. 

I recommend to open a ticket with the support team to give you more details. Can you help us with this, please? You can send an email to bc_support@brightcove.com.

Badge

Thanks Jorge, I shot them an e-mail.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would be interested in this as well! You get my vote to continuing to develop this kind of ingestion :) We have a team that updates 50+ videos twice a year and this would be an efficient option.

Userlevel 3

I would be interested in this as well! You get my vote to continuing to develop this kind of ingestion :) We have a team that updates 50+ videos twice a year and this would be an efficient option.

Hi @Amanda Hall thanks for sharing your input. Receiving such feedback from our users is very helpful. 

There’s a solution I used while working at Cisco dealing with hundreds of uploads and revisions. I used a Brightcove technology partner (https://newspark.io) to create a fool-proof form when a video needs to be uploaded (new or replacement). A new video would create a new VIDEO ID, but a file replacement wouldn’t (which helps web publishers not have to do a single thing). Videos would automatically flow through to Brightcove, and custom email notifications would be sent to the requester and service admin when completed.

Another byproduct was being able to download the source file when someone would mention there was a “Brightcove issue” which 100% of the time was an error with the submitted video file itself ;-)