Question

Publish Content to Spotify

Badge

Does anyone know of a simple way to publish brightcove content to spotify?

10 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi @Frank Roberge, Yes, we have customers who publish videos to Spotify using our MRSS feeds generated by the Social Syndication APIs.  However, if you plan to do this, it's critical that you either disable or extend the TTL tokens for MP4 assets, or you use static delivery URLs for the MP4 links.  Failure to do that will cause Spotify to continually ingest the podcast files resulting in massive bandwidth usage. Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks for sharing the static delivery URLs documentation. I didnt know that BC support this. I need it especially for the images.

and for spotify yes you need to produce the expose the audio URL in the MRSS feed, and ensure the MRSS format comply with spotify. Its best to wrap the audio file with your own script to track the views since BC analytic will only track if the asset play using BC player. 

e.g:

your-domain/spotify/audio/audio-id.mp4

Add the necessary filter and log it. Then  your script get the audio-id, use BC API to get the audio file and return it (dont forget to change the header). 

Userlevel 3

Awesome, thank you @Andy Hartono for sharing that.

I also wanted to share this document with you @Frank Roberge for RSS Podcast Feed for iTunes if you are considering publishing there as well. Hope this is helpful. Let us know if you have any follow up questions. 

Badge

What is the syndication type for use with spotify?

Userlevel 3

What is the syndication type for use with spotify?

You can use our Syndication APIs to build an MP4 MRSS feed, so long as the account is configured to create MP4s with the ingest profile. Here’s the documentation for it. Keep in mind that the same concerns about TTL tokens apply.

Badge

@Varsha Ahir Thank you. I’ll use the universal type then.   Is there any documentation on what to do with a new Syndication now that I have it created?

Userlevel 3

Hi @Frank Roberge, When you create an MRSS feed with the API, you will get a JSON response with the  "syndication_url":  and that's the location of the MRSS feed.  That URL is what you would give to Spotify.  If you aren’t sure what it is or forgot to write it down when you created the feed, you can make this call to the API and it will return all of their syndications and list the URLs.

But please keep in mind its crucial that you remove the TTL tokens from the MP4 files, If you don't, it will cause massive increases in bandwidth because Spotify polls that feed every X-minutes and each time it hits the feed, you will get a new TTL token, which Spotify interprets as a new updated video and downloads it again- and also downloads every video in the feed again- so it's really important you don't have dynamic TTLs at the end. Please keep that in mind. 

Badge

@Varsha Ahir Thank you. I wish there was a way to either confirm we are using static urls or remove the TTL tokens from specific files. I’m continuing to search for a solution. 

@Javier Valenzuela of Brightcove support told me the following and escalated the ticket:

“Regarding your request to extend the TTL (Time To Live) for videos tagged with "spotify" to the maximum duration, unfortunately, there isn't a direct method to extend the expiry for videos with specific tags. The TTL setting affects all URLs for all videos within your account uniformly.

As a clarification, all URLs include a TTL token for content security purposes, ensuring they expire after 6 hours by default. However, we can extend the lifespan of this token up to 365 days if necessary. It's important to note that while extending the TTL reflects the maximum time an asset will be cached by the CDN (Content Delivery Network), it does not guarantee that the URL will remain unchanged until the token expires.

Furthermore, URLs generated by the MRSS (Media RSS) feed can be refreshed simply by refreshing the MRSS feed itself. This means that upon calling the MRSS feed again, the URLs will contain a newer token, thereby refreshing the content's access validity.”   

Userlevel 3

Hi @Frank Roberge , Support is right- refreshing the feed will give a new TTL token.  It's best to either disable token generation completely or to use the static URL service for the MP4 links.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

You may interested to this topic: 

I have posted about Brightcove JWT on that thread to disable the TTL token.